October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Governor Doug Ducey is committed to raising awareness by lighting the State Capitol dome purple as a symbol of strength and hope to survivors of domestic violence and will launch the month-long Lighting Arizona Purple campaign. We encourage all Arizonans to join the Governor in taking a stand against domestic violence by learning about the issue and by lighting their own homes purple. The 2019 Lighting Arizona Purple event was sponsored by Arizona-based PetSmart Charities and the Home Depot.
How to make a Difference
Education on Domestic Violence
- Learn more about domestic violence through a recorded webinar or upcoming training through the Arizona Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. Register here.
- Download the brochure for more information on domestic violence and available resources.
- Review the calendar for events taking place across the state during Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
- Become familiar with the Violence Against Women Act.
Take a Stand
- Purchase a purple light bulb from Home Depot and light your home or business purple throughout the month of October. A portion of all proceeds will go to supporting awareness and prevention services for domestic violence.
- Display your support by printing the downloadable sign and displaying it at your home or office.
- Participate in Wear Purple Day on Thursday, October 22, 2020.
- Donate to a local domestic violence shelter. To find a local shelter near you and a list of items that are currently in need, click here.
Have a Voice
- Contact your local government leaders and non-profit organizations to see what they are doing to participate in Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
- Organize a domestic violence training for your place of employment or send domestic violence related information to your colleagues.
- Talk to your family members and friends about the importance of safe and healthy relationships.
Share the Impact
- 2019 Domestic Violence Awareness Month Toolkit: Find sample messaging, social media graphics and headers, and more to share on your social media sites. Download here.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) | TTY 1-800-787-3224
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- Arizona Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence: 1-800-782-6400
- Anti-Violence Program: 1-855-AVP-LGBT (1-855-287-5428)
- Loveisrespect.org: 1-866-331-9474
- Anti-Violence Program
- Arizona Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence
- Arizona Child and Family Advocacy Network (ACFAN)
- Arizona Crime Victim Services
- Arizona Rural Women’s Health Network
- Arizona South Asians for Safe Families
- Arizona State University
- Chicanos Por La Causa
- National Human Trafficking Hotline
- Northern Arizona University Campus Health Services
- Southwest Indigenous Women’s Coalition
- University of Arizona - Oasis Sexual Assault, Relationship Violence, and Trauma Services